Why do we use first names in the NBA?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Matt Horton Matt Horton 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Matt Matt 
    Participant

This is just always something I noticed, I don’t think it’s something we should try to change but I’ve always wondered about it. Like in the playoffs we could say like ‘Kyrie had a great game last night’ or ‘Russ had another triple double’ ‘Blake got hurt again’ ‘Klay hit seven 3’s’. In football for example it’s hardly ever ‘Tom threw 4 touchdown passes’ ‘Aaron threw for 400 yards’ ‘Antonio had 100 yards receiving’ ‘Khalil had 3 sacks’

I’m just puttinng this out there to see what explanations are cuz I actually don’t know and am curious. Thanks y’all

Profile photo of Ben Bailey Ben Bailey 
    Participant

Interesting topic. My guess is that people almost see the NBA as a reality show. We know more about these guys’ personalities and also I think part of it is that we see their faces up close more often than the other sports.

Profile photo of Matt Horton Matt Horton 
    Participant

I think it has to do with the oddness of some of their names. LeBron and Kobe are a lot more uncommon first names than James and Bryant are last names. You also have other guys like Carmelo, Shaq, and Kawhi. Harden, Durant, Lowry, and a bunch of others are known by their last names. You need to have a weird first name to be known by just your first name.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2017 Dirty Sports

Website by:  Tess Bodley

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Skip to toolbar